- ●Atoms of different elements combine in fixed ratios to form compounds, which have different properties from their component elements.
Names and symbols of the elements are in the IB data booklet in section 5.
- ●Mixtures contain more than one element and/or compound that are not chemically bonded together and so retain their individual properties.
- ●Mixtures are either homogeneous or heterogeneous.
Applications and skills:
- ●Deduction of chemical equations when reactants and products are specified.
Balancing of equations should include a variety of types of reactions.
- ●Application of the state symbols (s), (l), (g), and (aq) in equations.
- ●Explanation of observable changes in physical properties and temperature during changes of state.
- ●Names of the changes of state – melting, freezing, vaporization (evaporation and boiling), condensation, sublimation and deposition – should be covered.
- ●●The term ‘latent heat’ is not required.