Joint Entrance Examination – Main (JEE-Main), formerly All India Engineering Entrance Examination (AIEEE), is an examination organised by the National Testing Agency (NTA) in India. Introduced in the year 2002 and renamed in April 2013, this national level competitive test is for admission to various undergraduate engineering and architecture courses in institutes accepting the JEE-Main score, mainly National Institutes of Technology (NITs), Indian Institute of Information Technology (IIITs) and Government Funded Technical Institutes (GFTIs).
Until 2018, JEE-Main was on the first week of April by the Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE). It was held both on paper and electronically. From 2019 it is conducted by the NTA, twice a year, and online only.
JEE Main 2022: Exam Pattern of Paper 1 (B. Tech)
JEE Main 2022: Exam Pattern of Paper 1 (B. Tech)
|Section||No of Questions||Type of Questions|
|Mathematics||25 (20 + 5)||– 20 Objective Type – Multiple Choice Questions (MCQs)|
– 5 Questions with answer as numerical value, with equal weightage to Mathematics, Physics & Chemistry
|Physics||25 (20 + 5)|
|Chemistry||25 (20 + 5)|
Equal weightage will be assigned to all three sections of paper: Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry.
First attempt for JEE Main? Must read this article to crack the exam
Students aiming for admissions to IITs this year have to appear for JEE Main 2020, which is the most competitive engineering entrance exam. As we all know that JEE Main 2020 will be conducted in the month of January. In this article we have discussed the most important points to be focused which will help you to crack JEE Main in the FIRST ATTEMPT.
Hre we have attached a video whetre we have discussed the few most importnat points from this article on which students should focused.
Tips to crack JEE Main 2020 in the first attempt –
1. Syllabus – students must be aware of the syllabus for the engineering entrance exam as the question paper is based completely on the syllabus only, so students must check latest and updated syllabus.
2. Paper pattern and marking scheme – apart from the syllabus, aspirants must know about the paper pattern of IIT JEE which mentions the type of questions, marking scheme, questions’ weightage as well as other important details of IIT JEE question paper.
3. Study Material – Suitable study material for preparation of examination is really important because of right study material for JEE preparation. The JEE preparation study material should include past year question papers, mock tests, NCERT books etc. so that the students can only prepare the questions based on syllabus and pattern of JEE main 2020.
4. Emphasis on theory – JEE paper is based on numerical as well as theory questions, however, students should focus more on the theory part because most questions are formed and asked from theoretical part of chapters. Moreover, understanding theory helps in solving numerical questions easily.
5. Understanding of basic concepts – Before, starting to solve the questions for JEE preparation, make sure you know all the relevant basic concepts. Because, if your basic concepts are not clear then you will be stuck in questions for a long time and it will waste your time. As JEE paper has limited time duration students need to work on time management and clearing basic concepts will help on improving on this part.
6. Make notes for each chapter – For every chapter of JEE syllabus, you can make handy notes during preparation so, and that it is easier to revise in last few days remaining for the exam.
7. Value for quality over quantity – Instead of taking all topics at a time, you need to take concepts from each chapter one by one. This will make your understanding better as you won’t be confused and will take less time with organised learning approach.
8. Previous year question papers – Students should practice JEE Main question papers for at least past 5 years because it will help them estimate the type of question and weightage as well for each section of the test paper.
9. Give equal importance to class 11 and class 12 subjects (syllabus) – This is no hidden fact that, JEE Main question paper is based on the syllabus of class 11 as well as class 12. The weightage ratio of JEE Main question paper is either 40:60 or 60:40 for class 11 and class 12 but the ratio can be 50:50 as well. So, students need to study from the syllabus of both classes with equal importance.
10. Rejoice your studies and preparation – Don’t take stress while preparation of JEE Main rather you should enjoy and approach the exam positively. If you take the exam as a burden or obligation than you won’t be able to put your best efforts and will be stressed about it. Stress will have a negative impact and you will be prone to anxiety attacks about JEE Main results and won’t be able to perform better.
11. Analyse and take insights of your preparation level – You must regularly do self-analysis which will help you know your strengths and weaknesses. Try to cross-check your preparation level by taking mock tests from chapters you have studied long ago; this way you’ll be able to judge if you understood the concept and whether you will be able to perform in the upcoming exam with accuracy.
12. To know your actual preparation, attempt – To improve your speed and accuracy for the upcoming JEE Main exam, you should take mock test from chapters you have studied a month ago or so for example you studied Coordination compound 1 from chemistry 2 months ago and currently you are preparing Optics from JEE Main physics syllabus, then you can take a test for chemistry Coordination compound 1. This will help you analyse, your preparation for this topic. This is an unplanned manner of preparation to cross-check your preparation.
13. Solve indefinite practice papers – Last formula for success in JEE Main exam in the first attempt is by taking/solving as many as practice papers as possible. The more you practice, the more your speed and accuracy of solving the questions improves. Also, if you are taking a computer-based test of JEE Main then you must take the online mock test as many as possible, this way you will gain experience of attempting online paper on a real-time basis.
Best Books for JEE Main Preparation
Chemistry: Chemistry for JEE Mains is subdivided into Organic, Inorganic and Physical. In the broad scope of its subject, Chemistry is also considered easy to score after Mathematics. However, some students find Chemistry tedious because of the number of calculations, formulae and theory.
Best Books for JEE Mains- Organic Chemistry
Morrison & Boyd
Solomon and Fryhle
A Guide to Mechanism in Organic Chemistry
IITian Academy Notes
Best Books for JEE Mains- Inorganic Chemistry
Concise Inorganic Chemistry
J D Lee
Text Books for Inorganic Chemistry for Competitions
O P Tondon
IITian Academy Notes
Best Books for JEE Mains- Physical Chemistry
Modern Approach to Chemical Calculations
R C Mukherjee
Numerical Chemistry 22/e
IITian Academy Notes
Physics: A proper understanding of the fundamentals is required by candidates while preparing for Physics for JEE Main. Fundamental principles are the key to solve the complex numerical in Physics. This makes it mandatory for JEE Main applicants to attain proficiency in solving Physics numerical. Special attention is to be given for Electromagnetics and Mechanics.
Best Books for JEE Mains- Kinematics
Mechanics Pat 1 & 2
D C Pandey
Best Books for JEE Mains- Waves & Thermodynamics
Understanding Physics for JEE Main & JEE Advanced Waves & Thermodynamics
Best Books for JEE Mains- Electromagnetism
Understanding Physics Electricity Magnetism
D C Pandey
Mathematics: Mathematics for JEE Main is often considered the most challenging subject in any of the engineering entrance exams. To be able to crack the JEE Main exam, it is important for the aspirant to have a better understanding of concepts and also thorough the theorems.
Best Books for JEE Mains- Calculus
Differential Calculus for IIT-JEE
Integral Calculus for IIT-JEE
Calculus and Analytical Geometry
Thomas and Finney
Problems in Calculus of One Variable
I A Maron
Best Books for JEE Mains- Trigonometry
Coordinate Geometry for IIT-JEE
S K Goyal
Algebra for JEE Main & Advanced by
Vectors & RD Geometry
Trigonometry in JEE Main & Advanced
Course in Mathematics for IIT-JEE
Higher Algebra 4th Edition
Hall and Knight
IITian Academy Notes
Best Books for JEE Mains- Probability
Introduction to Probability & Theory and Its Application Volume I for JEE Main & JEE Advanced
Introduction to Probability & Theory and Its Application Volume II for JEE Main & JEE Advanced by William Feller
JEE Main Cutoff for Top NITs – 2019 vs 2018
Below are the previous year’s cutoff for top NITs in India for two programmes – Computer Science and Engineering & Mechanical Engineering
|NIT Arunachal Pradesh||25460||23188||37919||34066|
|VNIT Nagpur (Maharashtra)||5289||4930||14304||12122|
JEE Main Cutoff for Top IIITs – 2019 vs 2018
Below are the previous year’s cutoff for top IIITs in India for two programmes – Computer Science and Engineering & Electrical Engineering
|ABV-IIITM Gwalior (M.P.)||10780||11165||–||–|
|IIITDM, Kanchipuram, Chennai (Tamil Nadu)||15862||15345||–||–|
|IIIT Guwahati (Assam)||21601||25250||31318||33193|
|IIIT Kota (Rajasthan)||23144||24951||31335||33460|
|IIIT Sri City, Chitoor (A. P.)||25846||22525||30072||26764|
|IIIT Technology, Vadodara (Gujarat)||28527||29546||–||–|
|IIIT Manipur Mantripukhri, Imphal||38509||40151||42303||44229|
|IIIT Technology(IIIT) Dharwad||32991||34682||36995||37181|
|IIIT Technology Surat|
JEE Main eligibility 2020: General Academic Qualification
Qualifying exam for JEE Main
Class 12th Board exam/Intermediate examination or equivalent examination as listed by NTA.
There is no age limit for the candidates.
Qualifying Year of 10+2 level exam
Candidates passed QE in year 2018, 2019 or appearing in 2020 and will be appearing in 2020 are eligible for JEE Main 2020. Candidates who passed Class 12th/Qualifying examination in 2016 or before as well as those who will appear in such examination in 2020 or later are not eligible to appear in JEE (Main)–2020.
Candidates should have studied Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics as compulsory subjects in their 10+2 qualifying examination.
Number of Attempts
Candidates can appear for JEE Main for 3 consecutive years irrespective of session attempts as two attempts in a year will be considered as one.
JEE Main 2020 Eligibility for admissions to IITs, NITs, IIITs, CFTIs, SFIs and participating State Engineering Colleges –
- Candidates who have at least 75% marks in aggregate or fall in the top 20 percentile of Class 12th qualifying exam of their state or central board of education to be eligible for JEE Main 2020 if they belong to general category.
- There is a relaxation of 10% marks in minimum marks requirement for reserved category candidates i.e. if they have at least 65% marks in Class 12th qualifying examination then they are eligible to appear for JEE Main 2020.
JEE Main 2020 Eligibility for admissions to other engineering colleges –
The engineering colleges other than IITs, NITs, IIITs, and CFTIs have same eligibility criteria for B.E. / BTech courses. However, states prepare their JEE Main 2020 rank list based on their own eligibility criteria.
Besides, academic qualification, candidates also need to meet other JEE Main 2020 eligibility conditions as mentioned below –
How many attempts are allowed for JEE Main?
- Earlier, candidates had only three chances to attempt JEE Main, but now since JEE Main will be conducted twice a year, the number of attempts have been revised too.
- Candidates can now make maximum six attempts for JEE Main in three consecutive years.
- Therefore, for JEE Main 2020 candidates have two chances to attempt the exam, one was in January 2020 and then in April 2020.