CBSE Class 12 Biology Study Materials All Chapters
Class 12 Biology Chapters
- Chapter 1 Reproduction in Organism
- Chapter 2 Sexual Reproduction in Flowering Plants
- Chapter 3 Human Reproduction
- Chapter 4 Reproductive Health
- Chapter 5 Principles of Inheritance and Variation
- Chapter 6 Molecular Basis of Inheritance
- Chapter 7 Evolution
- Chapter 8 Human Health and Disease
- Chapter 9 Strategies for Enhancement in Food Production
- Chapter 10 Microbes in Human Welfare
- Chapter 11 Biotechnology: Principles and Processes
- Chapter 12 Biotechnology and its Applications
- Chapter 13 Organisms and Populations
- Chapter 14 Ecosystem
- Chapter 15 Biodiversity and Conservation
- Chapter 16 Environmental Issues
CBSE Syllabus 2020-21: Check Deleted Topics From 12th Biology Syllabus 2020-21
Learn about the deleted topics of CBSE Class 12th Biology Syllabus 2020-21. In this article, you will also find links to access revised CBSE 12th Biology Syllabus 2020-21.
Check deleted portion of CBSE 12th Biology Syllabus 2020-21. The board has reduced CBSE 12th Biology Syllabus 2020-21 by 30%. In this article, we have provided the details of the topics which have been deleted by the Central Board of Secondary Education. Links to access other important articles and the latest CBSE Syllabus are also available here.
Deleted Topics from CBSE 12th Biology Syllabus 2020-21:
o Chapter-1: Reproduction in Organism
• Reproduction, a characteristic feature of all organisms for continuation of species; modes of reproduction – asexual and sexual reproduction; asexual reproduction – binary fission, sporulation, budding, gemmule formation, fragmentation; vegetative propagation in plants.
Under Unit-VII Genetics and Evolution
o Chapter-7: Evolution
• Origin of life; biological evolution and evidences for biological evolution (paleontology, comparative anatomy, embryology and molecular evidences); Darwin’s contribution, modern synthetic theory of evolution; mechanism of evolution – variation (mutation and recombination) and natural selection with examples, types of natural selection; Gene flow and genetic drift; Hardy – Weinberg’s principle; adaptive radiation; human evolution.
Unit-VIII Biology and Human Welfare
o Chapter 9: Strategies for Enhancement in Food Production
• Animal husbandry, Plant breeding, tissue culture, single cell protein.
Unit-X Ecology and Environment
o Chapter-14: Ecosystem
• Ecosystems: Patterns, components; productivity and decomposition; energy flow; pyramids of number, biomass, energy; nutrient cycles (carbon and phosphorous); ecological succession; ecological services – carbon fixation, pollination, seed dispersal, oxygen release (in brief).
o Chapter 16: Environmental Issues
• Air pollution and its control; water pollution and its control; agrochemicals and their effects; solid waste management; radioactive waste management; greenhouse effect and climate change impact and mitigation; ozone layer depletion; deforestation; exemplifying case study as a success story addressing environmental issue(s).
DELETED PORTIONS CLASS XII BIOLOGY PRACTICAL:
A: List of Experiments
1. Study the presence of suspended particulate matter in air at two widely different sites.
2. Study the plant population density by quadrat method.
3. Study the plant population frequency by quadrat method.
B. Study/Observer of the following (spotting)
1. Pollen germination on stigma through a permanent slide or scanning electron micrograph.
2. Mendelian inheritance using seeds of different colour/sizes of any plant.
3. Controlled pollination – emasculation, tagging and bagging.
CBSE Class 12 Biology Syllabus (Revised): 2020-21
Revised CBSE 12th Biology Syllabus 2020-21 PDF and prepare for CBSE 12th Biology board exam 2020-21. This NCERT based CBSE 12th Biology Syllabus (Theory & Practical) is important for preparation. Links to other important articles for preparation of CBSE 12th Biology board exam 2020-21 are also available here.
CBSE Class 12 Biology Syllabus 2020-21 (Revised & Reduced):
Chapter-2: Sexual Reproduction in Flowering Plants
Flower structure; development of male and female gametophytes; pollination – types, agencies and examples; outbreeding devices; pollen-pistil interaction; double fertilization; post fertilization events – development of endosperm and embryo, development of seed and formation of fruit; special modes- apomixis, parthenocarpy, polyembryony; Significance of seed dispersal and fruit formation.
Chapter-3: Human Reproduction
Male and female reproductive systems; microscopic anatomy of testis and ovary; gametogenesis – spermatogenesis and oogenesis; menstrual cycle; fertilisation, embryo development upto blastocyst formation, implantation; pregnancy and placenta formation (elementary idea); parturition (elementary idea); lactation (elementary idea).
Chapter-4: Reproductive Health
Need for reproductive health and prevention of Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STDs); birth control – need and methods, contraception and medical termination of pregnancy (MTP); amniocentesis; infertility and assisted reproductive technologies – IVF, ZIFT, GIFT (elementary idea for general awareness).
Unit-VII Genetics and Evolution
Chapter-5: Principles of Inheritance and Variation
Heredity and variation: Mendelian inheritance; deviations from Mendelism – incomplete dominance, co-dominance, multiple alleles and inheritance of blood groups, pleiotropy; elementary idea of polygenic inheritance; chromosome theory of inheritance; chromosomes and genes; Sex determination – in human being, birds and honey bee; linkage and crossing over; sex linked inheritance – haemophilia, colour blindness; Mendelian disorders in humans -thalassemia; chromosomal disorders in humans; Down’s syndrome, Turner’s and Klinefelter’s syndromes.
Chapter-6: Molecular Basis of Inheritance
Search for genetic material and DNA as genetic material; Structure of DNA and RNA; DNA packaging; DNA replication; Central Dogma; transcription, genetic code, translation; gene expression and regulation – lac operon; Genome, Human and rice genome projects; DNA fingerprinting.
Unit-VIII Biology and Human Welfare
Chapter-8: Human Health and Diseases
Pathogens; parasites causing human diseases (malaria, dengue, chikungunya, filariasis, ascariasis, typhoid, pneumonia, common cold, amoebiasis, ring worm) and their control; Basic concepts of immunology – vaccines; cancer, HIV and AIDS; Adolescence – drug and alcohol abuse.
Chapter-10: Microbes in Human Welfare
Microbes in food processing, industrial production, sewage treatment, energy generation and microbes as bio-control agents and bio-fertilizers. Antibiotics; production and judicious use.
Unit-IX Biotechnology and its Applications
Chapter-11: Biotechnology – Principles and Processes
Genetic Engineering (Recombinant DNA Technology).
Chapter-12: Biotechnology and its Application
Application of biotechnology in health and agriculture: Human insulin and vaccine production, stem cell technology, gene therapy; genetically modified organisms – Bt crops; transgenic animals; biosafety issues, biopiracy and patents.
Unit-X Ecology and Environment
Chapter-13: Organisms and Populations
Organisms and environment: Habitat and niche, population and ecological adaptations; population interactions – mutualism, competition, predation, parasitism; population attributes – growth, birth rate and death rate, age distribution.
Chapter-15: Biodiversity and its Conservation
Biodiversity – Concept, patterns, importance; loss of biodiversity; biodiversity conservation; hotspots, endangered organisms, extinction, Red Data Book, Sacred Groves, biosphere reserves, national parks, wildlife, sanctuaries and Ramsar sites.
CBSE Class 12 Biology Practical Syllabus 2021 (Revised)
Time allowed: 3 Hours, Max. Marks: 30
A. List of Experiments
1. Prepare a temporary mount to observe pollen germination.
2. Collect and study soil from at least two different sites and study them for texture, moisture content, pH and water holding capacity. Correlate with the kinds of plants found in them.
3. Collect water from two different water bodies around you and study them for pH, clarity and presence of any living organism.
4. Prepare a temporary mount of onion root tip to study mitosis.
5. Study the effect of different temperatures or three different pH on the activity of salivary amylase on starch.
6. Isolate DNA from available plant material such as spinach, green pea seeds, papaya, etc.
B. Study/observation of the following (Spotting)
1. Flowers adapted to pollination by different agencies (wind, insects, birds).
2. Identification of stages of gamete development, i.e., T.S. of testis and T.S. of ovary through permanent slides (from grasshopper/mice).
3. Meiosis in onion bud cell or grasshopper testis through permanent slides.
4. T.S. of blastula through permanent slides (Mammalian).
5. Prepared pedigree charts of any one of the genetic traits such as rolling of tongue, blood groups, ear lobes, widow’s peak and colour blindness.
6. Common disease causing organisms like Ascaris, Entamoeba, Plasmodium, any fungus
causing ringworm through permanent slides, models or virtual images. Comment on symptoms of diseases that they cause.
7. Two plants and two animals (models/virtual images) found in xeric conditions. Comment upon their morphological adaptations.
8. Two plants and two animals (models/virtual images) found in aquatic conditions. Comment upon their morphological adaptations.
Prescribed Books (For CBSE Class 12 Biology Board Exam 2021 Preparation):
1. Biology, Class-XII, Published by NCERT
2. Other related books and manuals brought out by NCERT (including multimedia)
3. Biology Supplementary Material (Revised). Available on CBSE website.
Which book is best for CBSE 12 Class Biology?
It is a well-known fact that NCERT books are the best for CBSE Class 12th Board exam preparation. But then again, simply mugging the NCERT books is also not enough. Students should be thorough with NCERT books at least 5 months before their boards. This will give them ample time for using other reference books for CBSE Class 12 Biology.
Best Reference Books for Class 12 CBSE Biology
Below given are some of the good reference books for preparation of class 12 Biology exam.
- CBSE Biology Chapterwise Solved Papers class 12th by Arihant Expert
- NCERT class 12 Biology Textbook
- Pradeep’s A Text Book of Biology class 12 by P.S. Dhami
- S.Chand’s Biology for class XII by B.P. Pandey
- Trueman’s Elementary Biology for Class 12 and NEET by K.N. Bhatia and M.P. Tyagi
- Together with Biology by S.Chand
- Biology by Campbell and Reece