Standard Level (SL) Paper 3
Instructions to candidates
- Write your session number in the boxes above.
- Do not open this examination paper until instructed to do so.
- Answers must be written within the answer boxes provided.
- A calculator is required for this paper.
- A clean copy of the chemistry data booklet is required for this paper.
- The maximum mark for this examination paper is [35 marks].
Section A Questions
- Answer all Questions
- # of Questions – 1 – 2
Section B Questions
Answer all of the questions from one of the options.
- Option A — Materials
- # of Questions 3 – 4
- Option B — Biochemistry
- # of Questions 5 – 8
- Option C — Energy
- # of Questions 9 – 10
- Option D — Medicinal chemistry
- # of Questions 11 – 14
Options. A: Materials
- A.1 Materials science introduction
- A.2 Metals and inductively coupled plasma (ICP) spectroscopy
- A.3 Catalysts
- A.4 Liquid crystals
- A.5 Polymers
- A.6 Nanotechnology
- A.7 Environmental impact—plastics
- A.8 Superconducting metals and X-ray crystallography (HL only)
- A.9 Condensation polymers (HL only)
- A.10 Environmental impact—heavy metals (HL only)
Options. C: Energy
Options. D: Medicinal chemistry
- D.1 Pharmaceutical products and drug action
- D.2 Aspirin and penicillin
- D.3 Opiates
- D.4 pH regulation of the stomach
- D.5 Anti-viral medications
- D.6 Environmental impact of some medications
- D.7 Taxol—a chiral auxiliary case study (HL only)
- D.8 Nuclear medicine (HL only)
- D.9 Drug detection and analysis (HL only)